Sunday, September 04, 2005

Simple Traveler

Mountain Parson

A parson friend (as he is to all)
ambled peaceably by (as is his way)
and dropped a seed of thought. (scarcely preaching)


"Good to see you fix up the place." (I think he meant the house)

"a spot of paint -- some tended weeds" (now I am not sure)

"folks'll think they have new neighbors" (I am a bit recluse)

"It'll be grand when your drapes can be drawn back,
and I see flowers on the sill,
and laughing music from that piano,
I know is nestled there in the parlour." (wasn't in my plans)

"I was nearby that splashin' pond,
beyond the cedar grove, you know." (aye, such memories)

"I tossed in a stone I'd carried a bit,
thinking of Annie and all." (Yes, it has been a year since …)

"I watched the ripples swell out,
thinking of how many lives she touched." (Oh, my dearest love)

"That pond will never be the same now --
me 'neath, I recon. (I am not alone)

"well, I've must be movin' on --
hear tell the Darnell's are
having trouble with their son --
right serious." (I could use some help here)

I called after the limping figure,
bowed by endless walking of the mountain trails,

"Tell 'em to send young Jeb my way --
I'll give him work for pay and found."


A twirl of his walking stick
tells me he has heard --
and stretch of stride of agreement. (wonder why he came)

Someday we are all going to have
to build that guy a church. (not that I'd go)

Humm -- maybe if I moved those frilly curtains
that Annie loved --
up to the front widow here …

3 Comments:

At 11:20 AM, Blogger Karen said...

That's very beautiful and clever. Thank you.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

So many portraits encapsulated in these lines - I can see them all. marvellous.

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Nice stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home