Saturday, October 15, 2005

Skinny Dip

I was on a backpack trip when I was 19.
Many years later I related this event to my
teenage daughters. They said I should put
it to song.

Dark River

Dark river, churning, laughing,
milk of Mother Earth,
draw me down, down
to the wonder of my gifted birth.

She came to me in a burst of morning sunshine.
"Please," she said,
"would you watch me swim a while?"

Not a strange request
as no one went to the river alone.

Dark river, churning,
laughing, milk
of Mother Earth, draw me down,
down to the wonder of my gifted birth.

I sat on a stone while she danced
in the tiny falls,
and splashed in the pools
and glided down mossy rocks.
Her laughter was a gift of angels,
golden eyes a prayer.

Dark river,
churning, laughing, milk
of Mother Earth, draw
me down, down to the wonder
of my gifted birth.

Her slight sodden shift
became a burden perhaps
and she cast it off with a flourish
and ancient spin,
and stood there in the prancing light,
only joyful song.

Apple breasts and raspberry promise
yet untested.
Milky thighs and virgin silk that laughed at me
as she twisted fore and aft
in the bubbling foam.

Dark river, churning, laughing,
milk of Mother Earth,
draw me down, down
to the wonder of my gifted birth.

Twenty years have passed
but I yet often return.
I sit here, bound by my oath,
"I will protect you little one."

I drop a tear,
for I do not even know her name.

Churning, laughing, river dark,
milk of Mother Earth,
draw me down,
down to the wonder
of my gifted birth.

4 Comments:

At 3:36 AM, Blogger Traveller said...

this is beautiful

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger le Enchanteur said...

I agree Carol. This is beautiful!

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

This is indeed a beautiful piece.

Vi

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger aletta said...

Marvellous imagery!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home