Friday, September 22, 2006

Embers

A campfire is as good a place as any
to discuss important things in life –
better than most.

No one huddles close to fading embers by accident,
though an invitation is rarely required either.
No one is long a stranger
who can contribute a timely split of log,
or glimpse of life or reasoned opinion.
Identities are lost in steam from chocolate mugs
and shapelessness from bundled cloaks
and stories from another time.

I sense a shiver from my left
and extend a gnarled hand –
taken quickly by a sexless frozen fist.
This I can do!

I send a pulse in tune with the whispering coals –
from charka womb through heart and hand –
a message gentle –
a song of warmth and cherish.

It is easy to send a little heat energy to another person –
the problem is finding one who will allow it.
It doesn’t require friendship or love –
just lack of fear.

Easy by a campfire –
the angry world ends at the circle.
Small fire – huddle close –
whisper instead of shout.
My soul’s reach is limited, you know.
I blame it on the embers.
faucon

4 Comments:

At 8:33 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

No one is long a stranger
who can contribute a timely split of log,
or glimpse of life or reasoned opinion.


...or some donut holes for roasting. Have you ever toasted donut holes, preferably the glazed kind, over the campfire? Oh, yummy!

Vi

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

I'm roasting some chestnuts - how that takes me back to wintry streets in London when I stayed with my Gran, and the roast chestnut men were cooking their wares in big steel drims.

 
At 1:36 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Vi, those donut holes are yum. I've never had them roasted, and it sounds good.

The chestnuts sound tasty too, Gail. Oh for the days when we could have a fire;-(

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Lois said...

Now I will agree with you Faucon
a fire/fireside/camp fire is just the place to discuss the world at large
And of course as many think to do
"Solve the problems of what ails the world"
The main thing is to part knowing that all do not think as you might do.
And that you may have planted a small seed that says.
"Now there might just be something in what they say"

Now this often happens by the campfire..I often think its the lack of a restrained room and bright lights and stiff backed chairs...by the fire one is calmer,happier,not prone to outbursts due to not breaking the mood of the night.....

Ah my menories are again regenerated of times long past
Lois(Muse of the Sea) Oct 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home