Thursday, July 13, 2006

Time, you old gypsy man...

Deeply moved by the courageous love Heather and Darryl share, Lavengro read us this beautiful poem by Ralph Hodgson as we grouped round the camp fire to offer our prayers and support.


TIME, you old gipsy man,
Will you not stay,
Put up your caravan
Just for one day?

All things I'll give you
Will you be my guest,
Bells for your jennet
Of silver the best.

Goldsmiths shall beat you
A great golden ring,
Peacocks shall bow to you,
Little boys sing.

Oh, and sweet girls will
Festoon you with may,
Time, you old gipsy,
Why hasten away?

Last week in Babylon,
Last night in Rome,
Morning, and in the crush
Under Paul's dome;

Under Pauls' dial
You tighten your rein --
Only a moment,
And off once again;

Off to some city
Now blind in the womb,
Off to another
Ere that's in the tomb.

Time, you old gipsy man,
Will you not stay,
Put up your caravan
Just for one day?

4 Comments:

At 5:29 AM, Blogger Fran said...

Thank you, Gail, for reminding me of a long loved poem

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

This is beautiful.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Hopelessly sobbing! Just divine Gail. Makes me feel and after being numb that is good. For now one more day is enough and for those, like Dad who are gone, I hold them in my mind's eye each day. I hear him at the door now! Just one glimpse will be enough!

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger Gwen M. Myers said...

Gail, this is gorgeous!! I keep seeing it as an Illuminated manuscript. Thank you ever so much for sharing!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home