Monday, January 30, 2006

The Gypsy Rover (The Highwaymen)

This is a beautiful song, recorded by The Highwaymen in 1961. If anybody knows how to upload a song onto this blog, it would be really nice to have this song uploaded.

Chorus
"Ah-di-do, ah-di-do-da-dayAh-di-do, ah-di-day-dee. He whistled and he sang 'til the green woods rang and he won the heart of the lady.

The gypsy rover came over the hill,
Down through the valley shady,
He whistled and he sang ‘til the green woods rang
And he won the heart of the lady.

She left her father's castle gate, left her own fond lover. She left her servants and her states to follow the gypsy rover.

Her father saddled his fastest steed and roamed the valleys all over. He searched for his daughter at great speed and the whistlin' gypsy rover.

He came at last to a mansion fine, down by the river Clady and there was music, and there was wine for the gypsy and his lady.

He's no gypsy, my Father, she said,But Lord of these lands all over and I will stay 'til my dyin' day with my whistlin' gypsy rover.

4 Comments:

At 4:23 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Hopefully the Land of the Romany will be at the top of the tree soon. Chinese New Year takes us through and includes the Lantern Festival which is an equivalent of Valentines. One thing is for sure, the Land of Romany will be there eventually. Then we can all troop in singing this song.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

I adore this song. I remember we all loved it growing up. Lovely to see it again, and I can still recall the tune!

Great news about the festivities, Heather.

Very interesting post, Lois.

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Fran said...

One of my favourites always...I can even sing it!

 
At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could post this song in the blog. Old school style; UUencoded file. You would have to copy and paste, and re-encode on your machine. I am not tech support. Let me know if you want it posted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home