Thursday, March 30, 2006

Raggle Taggle Gypsy

This is my daughters favorite song, her Dad is from Ireland and we listen to this song every day. After seeing the other lyrics posted I thought this would be a good way to break the ice on my first visit here to the Gypsy camp. this song is on the chieftans cd called the wide world over.

RAGGLE TAGGLE GYPSY
There were three bold gypsies came to our hall door
Down the stairs came this lady-o
One sang high and another sang low
The other sang the Bonny bonny Biscay-o
They sang so sweet and they sang so shrill That fast here tears began to flow
She laid down her silken gownHer golden rings and all her show
Then she pulled off her silk finished gown
And she pulled off here satin bow
She left them all at our door
She is gone with the raggle-taggle gypsy-o
It was late at night when my lord came homeEnquiring for this lady-o
The servants said on every hand
She is gone with the raggle-taggle gypsy-o
O saddle for me my milk white steedAnd go fetch me my pony-o
That I may go and seek my bride Who is gone with the raggle-taggle gypsy-o
O he rode hight and he rode low He rode through wood and copsees-o
Until he came to a wide open field And there he spied his lady-o
O what made you leave your house and land What made you leave your money-o
What made you leave your new-wedded lordTo be off with the raggle-taggle gypsy-o
O what care I for my house and land
What care I for money-o
What care I for my new-wedded lord
I'm off with the raggle-taggle gypsy-o
O what care I for my goose feathered bed
With the sheet turned down so bravely-o
Tonight I will sleep in an open field Along with the raggle-taggle gypsy-o40 Irish Pub Songs

Shannon

3 Comments:

At 9:07 AM, Blogger Luna said...

I love this! I will have to find the song to listen to. I want to sleep in an open field along with the raggle-taggle gypsy-o!

Luna

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

A thousand welcomes, Shannon - that's my granddaughter's name, so an extra welcome to you - I love this song as well, and you may have noticed the whole tribe joining in with the chorus. This song is a big favourite round the camp fire.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Fran said...

You have taken me back to the days of my father, his brothers and the aunts who sang old songs around the piano, and this, long forgotten, was one. Thank you, Fran

 

Post a Comment

<< Home